Sunday, March 30, 2014

A New York Weekend - Sunday

Another weekend is upon us (and nearly over), alas, I have yet to recount my Sunday adventures from March 23...

So after my March 22 Saturday full of Brooklyn, books, and Divergent, I woke up around 10:30am on Sunday morning and took a shower. I had bought a Groupon for S'MAC (Sarita's Mac and Cheese) for myself and my five girlfriends, and our schedules had miraculously worked out to the golden time of 12pm Sunday--I was seriously glad, we've tried to make enough dinner plans around some deal or another we've bought, and sometimes it requires months of planning in advance (even then, we'll more likely than not have a last minute dropout).

My roommate H and I took the Q train from 57th and 7th Ave to Herald Square at 34th St and Broadway. From there, we walked over to the relatively new S'MAC location in Flatiron, which is on 32nd St between Lex and 3rd. The Groupon was for 4 Major Munches and 4 large plastic cups of beer--which turned out to be plenty for six girls. 

We ordered the Parisienne, Buffalo Chicken, Mediterraneaan, and Alpine mac and cheeses, washing it down with hard cider and ginger beer. 

After S'MAC, I took the 6 to Union Square and walked over to Books of Wonder to attend the all-day, no foolin', kajillion authors book signing. My friend Sara, whom I met at a NYC Teen Author Reading Night event, was working there as a bookseller that day, and it was so good to catch up and chat during her breaks.

Book-wise, I picked up a paperback called Scarlett by ____ and got it signed, or "personalized" as the cashier guy called it. I had a brief, nice, still kind of awkward (more on this theme later) chat with the author about Sherwood Forest and Scotland, since Scarlett is about a girl disguised as a boy in Robin Hood's band of thieves. 

After bookbrowsing, I sat down at the wooden table at the back of the Birdbath Bakery section of the store, switched on my computer, and got started on the career plan for Thaxted. The hours slowly passed, the alcohol-free hibiscus sangria/iced tea mixture in my cup slowly dwindled, and I actually got a lot of work done. Halfway through, a gaggle of Japanese ladies and a tall, Patagonia-bedecked white guy sat down next to me and started chattering in Japanese (no kidding, even the guy).  

Also, they should call that sangria/iced tea mixture a Something Palmer. Like a Jose Palmer! I know at Grace Street on 32nd St, they call their lemon honey/iced tea mixture a Grace Palmer.  

Since BoW closes at 6pm, around 5:30pm, I left the store with two more books--the Divergent Illustrated Movie Companion (I couldn't freakin' resist) and the Zeus graphic novel by George O'Connor, which Sara recommended to me.  

Then I headed across the street to Paper Press, where I bought a pack of gorgeous, Shakespeare quote Thank You cards I thought would be perfect for my mentors in the publishing industry. Check it out: 

From there Itook the 1 train uptown and headed to my spot, the David Rubenstein Atrium, which closes at 10pm even on Sundays, to finish up working. Overall it was a calm and peaceful day.  Friends, books, and productivity. 

(Books were the creme in the Oreo sandwich of my weekend!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment